General Dentistry involves professional checkup and cleaning in maintaining teeth and gums so that they remain healthy for a life-time. The main streams under general practice includes:
- Dental Diagnosis
- Scaling and Polishing
Dental Diagnosis is the most important aspect in modern dentistry. Oral examinations, x-rays and checkups are done to ensure a proper treatment plan is drawn and executed. The dental diagnosis determines what types of treatments and how an individual patient case is to be treated. Two main aspects are looked at on dental diagnosis at our clinic:
- Dental diagnosis policies and standards
- Dental diagnosis technologies
Dental Diagnosis Policies and Standards
At our clinic is dedicated dental center with simple objectives :
- Professionalism in code of conduct
- International standards
- Quality care of patients with compassion
Our policies and control checks are set to provide transparency. We believe in taking the time to educate each of patient on their options and setting realistic targets. Our dental specialists and dentists are a selected group of qualified and skilled individuals chosen to treat our patients in their specific field of expertises.
A holistic approach is taken to ensure that our patients are properly and professionally treated. As with all our treatments, our team takes into considerations the patients long-term prognosis.
Dental Diagnosis Technologies
To aid our dentists and dental specialists in dental diagnosis and providing good quality dental care, up-to-date equipments and techniques are utilized.
Our dental clinic has our own panoramic x-ray machines are used to facilitate systemic diagnoses and treatment plans.. Within each specific stream of dentistry, our dental specialists are also aided and guided by specialized instruments with the patient safety functions. The endomate and root apex locator are used in endodontic treatments. The OsseoCare unit for dental implants placement. Laser systems and Advanced teeth whitening system are used in tooth whitening, prosthodontic treatments and oral surgeries. Please visit our Technology section for more coverage on the equipments offered at our dental center.
are of the topmost importance at our clinic. Our dental clinic places emphasis on sterilization policies and controls, sterilization equipments, personalized sterilization options and have dedicated sterilization machines and technologies in protecting the safety of our patients. Tools such as autoclave sterilizer, ultrasonic cleanser, cold sterilizer, vacuum machine, suction machines and one-time disposable materials are used to ensure high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are met.
Our clinical handpieces, dental units and other machines are selected not only for their technological advancements but also for their design focus on sterilization
If part of a tooth has been lost through decay or damaged due to an accident, your dentist may put in a dental filling. Dental fillings are used to fill a portion of tooth or plug the hole and stop any future pain or discomfort.
Types of Dental Fillings
There are two basic types of dental fillings:
- Traditional Amalgam Fillings
- Composite Resin Tooth-Colored Fillings
Benefits of composite resin
- Nanosized filler particles create a brilliant polish and retention
- Gives excellent strength, durability and wear resistance for even the toughest posterior restorations
- Can be used for simple to complex restorations involving layering and combining two and opacities
- Low polymerization shrinkage for less stress on the tooth and less sensitivity potential for patients
- Fluorescence contributes to a more natural looking restoration
- Unique nanocomposite-based restorative combines strength and high-quality esthetics
The above information has been taken from 3M ESPE, Kerr, and Ivoclar Vivadent website.
Procedure for Composite Resin Dental Fillings Treatment
The course of treatment described here is one of several options available at our dental clinic. Consult your dentist to find out what the best solution is for you, given your specific condition.1. First evaluation and fillings tooth preparation
- decay in tooth is removed and clean cavity of bacteria and debris
- prepare space for the filling
- tooth-colored material is placed in layers
- a special light that “cures” or hardens each layer is applied
- shape composite material to the desired result, trim off any excess material
- polish final restoration
Having dental fillings and fillings replacement done is a quick and relatively simple process. There should be little or no sensitivity in teeth.
Dental fillings treatment can usually be completed within one visit if warranted. If however, there are a large number of fillings, the visits may be separated for better patient comfort.
Care for Dental Fillings
To maintain your fillings, you should follow good oral hygiene practices:
- Brush at least twice a day. It is good practice to brush after eating and before bedtime.
- Floss at least once to twice a day.
- Rinse with fluoride rinse before bed. Swish the fluoride rinse vigorously in your mouth for at least one minute. Do not swallow any of the rinse and do not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes
- See your dentist for regular professional check-ups and cleanings. If your dentist suspects that a filling might be cracked or is “leaking”, further assessment of the situation should be done
- If your tooth is extremely sensitive, if you feel a sharp edge, if you notice a crack in the filling, or if a piece of the filling is missing, call your dentist
|Type of Dental Filling||Advantages||Disadvantages|
|Traditional Amalgam Fillings||
|Composite Resin Tooth-Colored Fillings||
The composite of composite resin fillings bonds to further support the remaining tooth structure, which helps prevent breakage and damage to your tooth. They certainly look better, and are color blended to match your natural tooth color. These fillings are often used to improve the appearance of misshapen, chipped or discolored teeth.
Composite resin fillings last about six to twelve years or more, and the procedure usually takes just one visit to your dentist. There is very little sensitivity to hot or cold items often experienced with amalgam fillings. The dentist won’t need to drill as much of the tooth structure as with amalgam fillings.
Composite resin fillings require more time to apply than amalgam fillings. This results in an increased cost for placing composite fillings.
Tooth Scaling & Polishing
When scaling and polishing is done, essentially this is a deep clean of your mouth. A special tool is used to get rid of the hard build up of calculus (tartar) then follow up by giving the teeth a thorough polish. The areas concentrated on are just below the gum line, behind your teeth and in the gaps in between them, as these are the regions commonly missed when we brush our teeth. Scaling and polishing helps prevent gum disease.
At our dental clinic uses the EMS Piezon technology. The EMS Piezon unit’s small tip and high frequency scaling tool along with its water spray technology delivers higher patient comfort and makes the procedure for the removal of calculus (tartar) more time-effective. The EMS Peizon enables a more gentle and effective scale within a shorter treatment timeframe than conventional scaling tools. The unit is also designed for complete sterilization, a concept our clinic emphasizes on.
Scaling or prophylaxis is the procedure of removing calculus (tartar), plaque and stains from the teeth. Tooth scaling is part of professional tooth cleaning.
Polishing of tooth surfaces is used to make these surfaces smooth which makes it more difficult for plaque and debris to accumulate on your teeth that causes decay or gum disease. Polishing is a preventive procedure used as a first-line defense against dental problems.